Monday, October 19, 2009

Mention My Child

While at the Walk of Remembrance and Hope I started to get teary eyed as they read Scott's name. Before I left the walk I went to talk to the people who work for share. I started to tell them thanks for their hard work and then I stared cry and told them how wonderful it was to hear someone besides myself say Scott's name.

While talking to Jennifer at the in the evening I told her about that. She told me she would send me a poem. This is the beautiful poem.

Go ahead and mention my child,
The one that died, you know.
Don't worry about hurting me further.
The depth of my pain doesn't show.
Don't worry about making me cry.
I'm already crying inside.
Help me to heal by releasing
The tears that I try to hide.
I'm hurt when you just keep silent,
Pretending he didn't exist.
I'd rather you mention my child,
Knowing that he has been missed.
You asked me how I was doing.
I say "pretty good" or "fine".
But healing is something ongoing
I feel it will take a lifetime.

~ Elizabeth Dent ~
(I changed she to he)

No comments: