Monday, December 28, 2009

He Came As A Whisper

When Scott was born we were blessed to have Grandma and Papa Anderson, Grandma and Grandpa Young, Rebecca, Rachael, Allen, Ashlie, and Jill at the hospital. Many times I have felt like it was important to any one but me.

In November this year Chris, Joe's mom, was showing me some cute stories she had written. She then asked me if she had ever shown me what she wrote the night Scott was born. I had no idea she had ever written about Scott. I read the poem she wrote and started to cry. It is so beautiful. Along with the tears being shed about my sweet son I was crying because I finally knew how special that night was to her as well. My love for my mother-in-law grew so much more.

Here is the most beautiful poem I have ever read.

He Came As A Whisper
by Christine Young
"He came as a whisper, soft, sweet, innocent. He fell upon us silently, invading our heartstrings, pulling and tugging. He drank in our tears and listened to them silently fall. Silent echos of love filled that small room in those precious few minutes.
He came softly, without cries or tremors of fear. Life brushed across his tiny existence and kissed him gently good-bye. We cry out for time to cease that we can memorize his little face, the gentle slope of his nose, the hairs of his head, the curves of his ears. We gaze in awe at his perfect feet and fingers and toes, all complete but still.
Our hello was more brief than our good-byes. What wondrous soul did we meet in such a brief encounter this cold December night? When we meet again will we recognize each other? Will tears bathe our faces once more in joyous reunion? Good-bye for now, our little one. You will be missed but never forgotten. You have carved a place in our hearts, forever dear, forever our little Scott Leland Young. --December 28, 2007."

2 comments:

Rachel Doyle said...

Hi - I randomly found your blog, but felt like you have written what I have wanted to say myself. My own little angel Nathan was born 4 months premature due to ruptures water sac. I carried him for an additional 10 days before he was born. He lived 10 minutes and then passed away on November 30, 2006. He was my first baby. During those 10 days I randomly watched Richard Paul Evans movie Christmas Box on television. I didn't have a clue what the movie was about or I wouldn't have watched it knowing that the child I was carrying was ultimately dying. But, I think it was Heavenly Father's way of answering my aching heart - The First Gift of Christmas is a Child - His child so that my child would live again. It has been our motto for Christmas season ever since.

Anyhow I love the poem and hope that you won't mind me posting to my own blog. Thank you.

Rachel Doyle

doylefamilyutah.blogspot.com

Rachel Doyle said...

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I agree our sons are no less special than the ones who make to 40 weeks. I wish people would understand that - but they don't. But, I am glad that I found someone who does get it - thank you friend.

Rachel