Friday, June 27, 2008

Research Study

I am participating in a research study about spontaneous preterm births. I met with the doctor, Dr. Esplin, yesterday. (I met Dr. Esplin at the hospital the day Scott was born.) In addition to the study he will be seeing me throughout my pregnancy as I am being treated high risk.

I see Dr. Esplin three times for the study. Each time the will collect every kind of liquid sample they can get from me. They also do an ultrasound at each of those visits. The next time I see him for the research study will be in 3 weeks, I think.

I will see him at 18 weeks and the will start me on progesterone to keep hormone levels high. They will also do an ultrasound to check my cervix. They will check it again at 20 and 24 weeks to see if I have an incompetent cervix and need it sewn shut. They also check me for infection every time since that was the problem with Scott.

Because Scott was born early I have a 30% chance of having another preterm birth this time. That is not to say I would deliver at 23 weeks, but sometime before 37 weeks. Depending on how things go they might start me on steroids as early as 24 weeks to help the baby's lungs develop quicker. They will also watch me closely for contractions and see if I need to be on bed rest. But right now everything looks good.

I feel really good about doing this study and seeing Dr. Esplin. He said we will take every precaution with this pregnancy. I was glad when he said if I am every nervous or concerned to call him and he will get me in. He doesn't want me home worrying.

It was confirmed during the ultrasound that there is only one baby. I was kind of hoping for twins. I think it is a girl. Do you have a prediction?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is a girl too (because everyone I know that has lost a baby has had one the opposite sex afterwards). Best of luck to you. It sounds like you are in good hands.-remember to take it easy and have a great pregnancy!

Anonymous said...

I agree - girl all the way! Then again, I feel like we'll have a boy next, even though part of me is so in love with the thought of two little girls that I wouldn't mind that either.

I think this study sounds great - both for research and the added support for you.

Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

The additional support through this pregnancy will be great for your peace of mind. An added bonus is the knowledge that your participation could help another mother in the future. Sounds like a win-win situation!

Anonymous said...

PS-Girls are fun; I'm enjoying my combo, but another boy would be awesome too.

Anonymous said...

I HOPE it is a girl.......it is so fun to have a girl. And you have already been making little bows and barrets.

Anonymous said...

No guesses here! My brother lost a girl and had another girl, so you may end up with a boy. Although I know you are hoping for a girl. Even though I hoped Scott would have been a girl, I love that I have two boys and hope they will be good buddies.

Anonymous said...

I've said girl since I found out! It would be so fun to have three little girl cousins so close in age (although a boy would be adored as well). And you need a girl to wear all the bows you've made, Hayden really doesn't have the hair for them-even though he tries.

Anonymous said...

Well, you do make really really cute little boys... but I'm sure a little girl would be just as cute... with the added bonus of frills and bows! Either way, I am excited for you guys to expand your little family even bigger! If only Scott could cheat for you and whisper the answer in your ear!

I am glad that they are taking such good care of you. I'm sure at times it won't be fun being poked and prodded, but at least you'll have extra assurance that everything will be okay because they have the microscope on you! I'm sure it will be nice to have that extra assurance, and it is so nice that the dr. said you can call him any time. Seriously I wouldn't hesitate to call for even the smallest things. Better safe and annoying than sorry!

Anonymous said...

That's great that you'll be involved with that study. It sounds like it will be very beneficial for you and the baby.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jessica,

I am sorry it has taken so long to get back with you - I have been out of the blogging world!!! Allie told me she saw you and it was so good to see your little note!!! Your family is addorable and good luck with your new little one on the way!!!!

Tracy