Thursday, March 13, 2008

"I Am a Mother"

Cleaning and scrubbing can wait for tomorrow,
For babies grow up, I've learned, to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby, and babies don't keep.
-Author unknown

My dad told me a while ago to stop stressing about my house not being as clean as it was before I got married and had children. Sometimes I feel that if the furniture needs dusting or the floors need to be vacuumed I must not be doing a good job as a wife and mother.

Since Scott was born, I seem to be getting a better perspective on life and what really matters. I am so grateful to be a mother. It is the best thing in the world. I love playing on the floor with Hayden everyday. I love it when he gets a book of the shelf and brings it to me to read to him. We have so much fun at story time and Little Gym.

Hayden doesn't care if the house is not spotless. But he gets so sad if I won't play with him because I "think" I am too busy. I realize how fast Hayden is growing up. I do not want to miss out on making memories with my sweet little boy. I love both of my baby boys so much.

This morning I finished reading "I Am a Mother" by Jane Clayson Johnson. I really enjoyed this book. All my life I have wanted to be a mom. I have never felt that I was "just a mom" as mentioned in the book. But after reading her book I am even more grateful for the wonderful calling of motherhood.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jessica, I love your writings. They help me to know that being a mom never ends. I am so thankful for your insight and your testimony.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I just finished this book a couple of days ago. It was sooo good. I also have always wanted to be a mom and it took longer than I thought for it to happen. I struggled a little with my decision to stay home or go back to work. I had always planned on staying home with my children, but when that time came I was surprised that it was harder than I thought to give up working. More than working, I think it was a) I had been teaching for 6 years - that's who I was and b) I really would miss the people I worked with - the adult interaction. Reading "I Am a Mother" reminded me why I choose to stay home and that you are never "just a mom". Being a mother is truely a wonderful calling and I am so blessed to have two beautiful children, and a wonderful husband who helps make it possible for me to stay home and raise our children.